Jan 26, 2010

Losing A Best Friend....Really Hurts


So this last week was a pretty tough week for me :( I lost a best friend that I liked to call Snoopy. She was my first pet I ever owned my dad bought her for me when I was 10 years old. Well this last week she got extremely sick, so we took her to the vet and found out she had diabetes, well they told me she had a 50/50 chance, but with her heart murmur that she was diagnosed with a few years ago would complicate things and they were worried about heart failure and the stress it would put on her with the medicines they had to give her. When we took her in she had lost 20lbs in a matter of days, she was not walking really at all, she had gone pretty much blind, and was throwing up everything she ate, and her sugar was at 500 (norm for dogs I guess is 100). Well they kept her there for a couple nights and was able to get her sugar down and get her all leveled out, but she was still not pulling through she was getting worse. When I went to visit her she was still not eating and at this point she would not even respond when I said her name, like I wasn't even there. She wasn't walking just laying there. She did try to get up to come and see me but she could only take a few steps. So it was then that the vet said that they really did not see any will in her left to live, and that I should consider putting her down. At that point I could not believe what  I was hearing or seeing. She was so miserable and I was faced with the decision to keep trying or if it was just her time to go, as much as I wanted to keep trying to see if she would pull out of it , I had to keep thinking is this what she really wants? or am I just being selfish trying to keep her here? The decision was so tough. Just last week she was running around like the old snoopy I knew and seemed perfectly fine. Ultimately I knew it was best to let her go...I miss her soooo much...She would have been 11 years old this April 9th and I don't even remember a time when she wasn't around. She has been my best friend since I was just a little girl. I never thought that loosing a pet would be so difficult...after all everyone says well "it's just a dog" but to me she was so much more than that. She was my best friend no matter what I said or did and was always there when I was down and out all those years growing up. I just thought she had another few years left and the fact that it all happened so fast I think was what really hurts. The fact that I was not expecting it or prepared for it. So here is a poem that I want to share with everyone. When I read it it is sad but yet at the same time helps me realize I made a good choice and what was best for her. It is called
"The Last Battle"

If it should be that I grow frail and weak,

And pain should keep me from my sleep,

Then will you do what must be done,

For this, the last battle, can't be won.

You will be sad I understand,

But don't let grief then stay your hand,

For on this day, more than the rest,

Your love and friendship must stand the test.

We have had so many happy years,

You wouldn't want me to suffer so.

When the time comes, please, let me go.

Take me to where to my needs they'll tend,

Only, stay with me till the end

And hold me firm and speak to me,

Until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time you will agree,

It is a kindness you do to me.

Although my tail its last has waved,

From pain and suffering I have been saved.

Don't grieve that it must be you,

Who has to decide this thing to do;

We've been so close,we two, these years,

Don't let your heart hold any tears.


In Loving Memory of Snoopy....You were my best friend until the end...Love You & Miss You Girl

April 9, 2000 - January 19 2010

0 comments:

Post a Comment